If you work together with external partners, list the most important partners and briefly describe their role.
Irish Road Safety Authority and the National Driving Licence Service - not only funding this work pro-actively but also working in tandem on the research projects
CIECA, the International Consortium on Driver Testing - supporting the review on European Union Directives on medical fitness to drive
Please describe the project activities you carried/are carrying out and the time period over which these were implemented.
1. Development of high-quality guidelines for healthcare professionals, updated with literature review annually https://rcpi-live-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/NDLS-Sla%CC%81inte-Tioma%CC%81int-2022-WEB-002.pdf
2. Development of a portfolio of leaflets for the general public on a wide range of medical conditions - alcohol use disorder, dementia, stroke, diabetes, heart disease, etc - and how to manage their driving optimally in terms of safety and mobility https://www.ndls.ie/medical-fitness/health-and-driving-information-leaflets.html
3. Promoting these leaflets and knowledge at major public events with information stands at major public events such as agricultural shows.
4. Developing educational certificate programmes for healthcare professionals https://courses.rcpi.ie/product?catalog=Certificate-in-Traffic-Medicine and road safety professionals https://courses.rcpi.ie/product?catalog=Certificate-in-Road-Safety-Mobility-and-Health
5. Working with international partners through CIECA to advise European Commission on improvements to the medical fitness aspect of the Directives on driving licencing https://www.cieca.eu/news/1017
6. Working with researchers across three continents to update major review of evidence on medical fitness to drive https://www.monash.edu/muarc/archive/our-publications/reports/muarc300 - 3rd edition, 2022, due to be released June 2022
7. Promoting an essay competition on Traffic Medicine for healthcare students to raise awareness of medical fitness to drive https://www.rcpi.ie/traffic-medicine/mary-ward-essay-prize-for-traffic-medicine/