The NTUA Road Safety Observatory is a Center of Research and Innovation Excellence on Road Safety, with global recognition [ranked: 2nd in Europe and 6th worldwide (AAP 2018)]. The Mission of the NTUA Road Safety Observatory (www.nrso.ntua.gr) is to support the Greek and the International Road Safety Community with current key road safety knowledge and data which are gathered, analysed and organised within the research activities of the Department of Transportation Planning and Engineering of the School of Civil Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens, as well as within co-operations with various national and international road safety organisations.
The Vision of the NTUA Road Safety Observatory is to support road safety decision makers by offering knowledge and data via open-science and contribute to the significant reduction of the number of road accidents and of the related casualties in Greece, in Europe and worldwide, through the scientific support of evidence based decision making for the necessary road safety policies, programmes and measures.
The high level scientific personnel of the NTUA Road Safety Observatory (Internationally recognized Professors, Senior Transportation Engineers -Research Associates, Junior Transportation Engineers and Administrative Assistants) have with high level scientific expertise in: traffic safety, transport and traffic planning and engineering, data science and advanced statistical data analysis, intelligent transportation systems and automation.
NRSO for more than 25 years continuously is balancing successfully between 3 pillars:
- Excellence - Advanced and innovative technology concepts
- Impact - Research with significant impact to society and economy
- Implementation - State-of-the-art organisation and management structures
The performance of NRSO is countable:
- More than 100 road safety research projects since early '90s (40 Greek and 60 International) and 71 of these research projects were assigned through highly competitive (national or international) procedures
- More than 500 road safety publications - more than 150 in scientific Journals and more than 350 in scientific conference proceedings
- More than 300 presentations in scientific conferences
One of the most important and effective NRSO products are the Data and Knowledge Systems, which are addressed to several stakeholders and decision makers all over the world and have contributed significantly in decreasing the number of fatalities and serious injuries all over the world:
Nrso - The NTUA Road Safety Observatory
Erso+ - The European Road Safety Observatory
SaferAfrica - The African Road Safety Observatory
SafetyCube - European Road Safety Decision Support System
SafeFITS - Global Road Safety Model
Pract - The CEDR Road Safety APM and CMF Repository
BeOpen - Open science in road safety